Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: K40 and Stadium Lighting Revisited

  1. #1
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    I got my test roll of K40 back from Dwayne's about a week ago and I'd thought I'd share the results.

    There was enough light for an exposure. However, the image was not very bright and, in some spots, slightly hazy. The image had a fine-grain (no surprise there) and there was absolutely no shadow detail--as Mattias predicted. The band I filmed looked washed-out--the only colors that stood out were red and white--but they were performing on a football field under bright metal halide lights so that can be expected.

    I still want to do this project, but considering the washed-out look I'm getting and the expense of purchasing and developing film, I'm thinking of switichng to digital video and saving my remaining rolls of K40 for something more viable. Of course, DV will look worse...

    I also shot a roll of Ektachrome and Tri-X, but they haven't arrived back from Pac Lab yet.

    If anybody wants me to, I'll upload some JPGs or an AVI.

    Tom

  2. #2
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Images are always great.

    By the way, you said you're dealing with PAC LAB, in New York.
    There is a place in PA, just in case you weren't aware:

    FilmLab
    445-447 North 7th St.
    Allentown, PA 18102-2835

    phone: 610-435-8133

    I've never used them, nor do I know for sure if they can accomodate you completely, but they do deal with super 8 in some capacity.

  3. #3
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    Funny you should mention Filmlab. They're about forty-five minutes from my house. When I first got into S8 filmmaking last November, I saw Filmlab's address listed either here or on one of the other S8 sites. I thought "Great! There's a local business that'll develop my S8 film! I won't have to send my film off to Timbuktu and wait for five weeks to get it back!" So one day I drove up to Allentown with a couple rolls of Ektachrome and discovered that Filmlab is gone. There's a video store there now.

    Oh, well.

    Tom

  4. #4
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry about that, bro. I only knew of FilmLab from doing web searches. There was no indication that they moved, or went out of business.

    Who knew?

    But the images look okay. I'm sure the actual projected film images are much better.

    Do you have any close-up, telephoto shots? Or is it all wide?
    Were you opened up the whole time? f/1? f/1.4?

  5. #5
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    The vast majority of what I shot were wide shots. I have shot some closeups but the cart on which those closeups were shot have not come back from the lab yet.

    The lens opened up all the way for shots. At one point, I got an f-stop reading of 2.5 but that occurred only when one of the stadium lights happened to be in the frame.

    Thanks for the compliments on the images. It's great to get encouragement from people on the net.

    As for Filmlab, I found out it closed last December, but so it's not like I wasted any time trying to track it down. As far as I know, they did process Ektachrome and maybe Plus-X or Tri-X B&W.

    Again, thanks for the compliments.

    Tom

  6. #6
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    I got the Ektachrome and Tri-X back from the lab, as well as the first "official" cart of footage that I shot for this project. Let me begin by saying that I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, dislike the Leicina Super's split-image focusing viewfinder, or, to be more specific, the sensitivity of the camera's focusing ring. It's a great camera but if someone in Texas sneezes, the camera goes out of focus. Most of what I filmed ended up in this maddening soft-focus; the best I could manage were the proceeding screenshots and they're hardly in deep focus. I apologize for that.

    These screenshots were extracted from AVI clips captured by Sony DCR-TRV840 digital handycam at 720 * 480 resolution. The Moviestuff Video Cinemate 20 was the telecine projector. Three of these JPGs (testektachrome.jpg, testk.jpg, and testtrix.jpg) were taken from clip of a high school football game held in Souderton, Pennsylvania. The remaining JPG (testk402.jpg) was taken from a clip of a band competition held in Doylestown, Pennsylvania.

    http://www.angelfire.com/indie/tfunc...ektachrome.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/indie/tfunch24/testk.jpg (Ignore misspelled 'Second atempt" text)
    http://www.angelfire.com/indie/tfunch24/testk402.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/indie/tfunch24/testtrix.jpg

    Please let me know if any of the links fail to operate.

    Tom

  7. #7
    Inactive Member mcarter4121's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2001
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The links worked very fast and the jpegs came right up. I liked the far shot of the B&W football players.
    Thanks for the report and the images; this kind of posting helps me motivate to shoot more film and to transfer more film.
    It is also nice to know someone is in my own timezone. Yea PA.

    Michael

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •